Monday, October 1, 2007

Stay Away From The North Street Grille

From the title of this post I'm sure you've already guessed my opinion of this restaurant is negative to say the least. I have had such an urge to write about the North Street Grille ever since my friends and I stumbled upon it a few weeks ago. We had a horrible experience there and I feel it is necessary to warn others to stay away from this snobby overpriced establishment. Of all the places that I have eaten at in Boston this is probably the worst yet. Let me begin my story by explaining that it does not pay to travel off the beaten path in the North End and there are reasons why some restaurants have lines out the door while others do not.

The restaurants on the two main streets in the North End were all crowded when we went to get dinner one Friday night, so we decided to stray away from the main scene. After about a half hour we came across the North Street Grille and decided to eat there because the menu posted outside looked decent and the cost was within our price range. I was especially excited about the cob salad which was a creative combination of vegetables, sliced eggs, and various meats. However, once we were seated inside we discovered, much to our displeasure, that the menu was completely different than the one posted outside. After speaking with the waitress we learned that the chef likes to be creative and changes the menu every week. Although I commend the chef for trying to spice things up I thought the least the restaurant could do was change the menu outside especially if this is something they do every week. After all, it was a Friday night, typically the busiest night for restaurants. Nevertheless, we decided to stay and my friend and I both ordered a grilled chicken dish that sounded good. And then the wait started. Let me point out that this is a small restaurant and when we arrived there were only two other people seated. We chatted together for a while and waited. And then we waited some more. Finally about an hour and a half later our food finally arrived. I can tolerate waiting for food for a long time especially if the chef is making a special dish but the food that was put before us was anything but special. On a large white plate lay one small piece of chicken surrounded by three slices of tomato and three half slices of mozzarella balls. A vinaigrette dressing was lightly drizzled over the plate. I was able to manage about three bites of chicken before I hit the bone. Needless to say I was still hungry after I had finished. There was nothing special about the chicken either. I could have just as easily have gone to Shaws bought myself a chicken breast and thrown it in the oven and it would have tasted better. By the time I had paid tax and tip the meal came up to $19. When my friend and I told the waitress that we didn't like our meal she looked offended said she would inform the chief. It is my belief that if a customer doesn't like what you have served them you should offer them something else.

The only thing that is good about this restaurant is that the portions are so small that you don't have to count your calories. Still if anyone decides that they absolutely must try the North Street Grille for themselves I would suggest making plans to go to a second restaurant afterwards because you will still be hungry.

No comments: